Step 1: Read the Introduction about the pros and cons of selective breeding.
Step 2: Read the article- Dogs that Saved the World
Step 3: Watch the video: Cattle Breeding Traits
Step 4: Answer the following questions about the video (on your worksheet).
- How many different breeds of cattle have humans created?
- Would the qualities that make good beef cattle help them survive in the wild
- Besides milk and meat production, what other traits might humans wish to breed in cattle?
Step 5: Watch the video: Cattle Breeds
Step 6: Answer the following questions about the video (on your worksheet).
- What might indicate that a cattle breed is adapted to cold climates like Scotland?
- What do the different breed names refer to?
- Why might “adaptability” be a desirable trait in a specific breed?
Step 8: Answer the following questions about the videos (on your worksheet).
- How do humans change animals through artificial selection?
- What are dogs natural traits that make them attractive to people?
- What adaptations have sled dogs made to living in the arctic?
- What traits have people artificially selected sheep dogs for?
- What are physical and mental problems dog breeds may have?
Step 9: Finish with a COMPLETE paragraph that starts with one of the following statements:
- It is a good thing that humans have artificially selected animals to serve their purposes.
- It is a bad thing that humans have artificially selected animals to serve their purposes.
Support your statement with 3 examples from what you have just seen or read.