What is life? What makes living things different from non-living things?
Watch the video below to see if you can figure out what characteristics that all living things share:
Introduction to the Characteristics of Life from Frank Gregorio on Vimeo.
Life cannot be defined by one characteristic; rather an organism must have a combination of characteristics. However, not all scientists agree on a single list of characteristics.
Here is one example of what some scientists believe are the characteristics of living things:
All Living Organisms Have:
1. Cells – Organisms made of one or more cells.
2. Metabolism – Organisms need to get and use energy, and get rid of wastes in order
to carry out life processes.
3. Response – respond to their environment .
4. Growth/Development – organisms grow and develop.
5. Reproduce – organisms make more of the same species.
In order to be alive, organisms must have ALL of the characteristics of life.
Another way to help you remember the characteristics of human life is from Mrs. Gren.
Mrs. Nerg is another fun way to learn about living things. Want to know more about Mrs. Nerg? CLICK HERE and find out more about her :)
Have fun LEARNING!!!